You'll like these a latke!
Everyone loves potatoes. Everyone loves pancakes. So what's not to love about potato pancakes?
My son learned about Hanukkah in virtual school, but his only takeaway were the latkes. "They're pancakes made out of potaoes!" he said, wide-eyed. 'Tis the season, so we shredded up some potatoes and gave it a shot. It was a success!
We got our recipe from the Joy of Cooking book. It's a classic cookbook, and a definitive guide for any recipe you would want to look up. In the past month, we've referenced latkes, cream of asparagus soup and pumpkin pie cheesecake - all impeccable. But I digress...
Aside from latkes being a solid comfort food on their own, you can also consider them a blank slate for delicious toppings. And if you know me, you know I love a good theme. Try these variations:
- The Russian: Sour cream and caviar
- The Nosh: Smoked salmon and whipped cream cheese
- The Sonoma: Gogonzola cheese and brandied fruit, such as figs or pears
- The Jock: Melted cheese, sour cream, chives and bacon bits
- The Piedmont: Truffle oil (white or black truffles) and black pepper
The possibilities are endless. Hanukkah may be over, but that shouldn't stop you. Have a nosh, and happy holidays!!